Health Department - Dental Health
The most chronic infectious disease among children today is tooth decay. Tooth decay
can threaten a child's health and well-being. According to
Oral Health America: A Report of the Surgeon General, the biggest problems
are access to care, expense, and lack of preventive devices.
Healthy Smiles for Wood County operates under the direction of the Wood County Health
Department. It has a primary focus on prevention. The program addresses prevention
though outreach, education, fluoride varnish placement, sealant placement and systems
change. The program is a school-based, school-linked dental sealant and fluoride
varnish program in which portable dental equipment is taken to area schools and
early childhood centers. Children's teeth are screened and then sealants or fluoride
varnish are placed on appropriate teeth.
Healthy Smiles for Wood County is the only population based sealant and fluoride
varnish program within Wood County. One of the successes of the Healthy Smiles for
Wood County program is that it allows for collaboration to assist and locate restorative
services for individuals with barriers to dental care.
Funding is provided for this program through state and local grants and donations.
Current funding providers of the Healthy Smiles for Wood County program include:
- Children's Health Alliance
- Community Foundation of South Wood County
- Delta Dental Plan of Wisconsin, Inc.
- Dr. O'Leary
- Elks Ladies of Elks Lodge 693
- First Congregational Church UCC Community Outreach Fund: Community Foundation of
Greater South Wood County
- Healthy Smiles for Wisconsin
- John and Judy Steele Fund: Community Foundation of Greater South Wood County
- J & L Uniforms
- Local Dentists, Hygienists, and Assistants
- Marshfield Area United Way
- Marshfield Clinic Care Management
- Ministry Foundation - St. Joseph's Hospital
- Parent and Community Volunteers
- Umhoefer Foundation
- United Way of Inner Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Dental Association Foundation
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Wood County Health Department