Wood County, Wisconsin

Official Website

User Icon Login

Environmental Protection


The Wood County Health Department has programs and information available to help you protect your environment, including, but not limited to:

Clean Sweep

Clean Sweep

The annual Wood County Clean Sweep will take place on Saturday, September 7, 2019, at the Saratoga Town Hall.

Collection time is 8:00am – 12:00pm.

Note: Latex Paint is not recyclable. Dry it, and put in regular garbage.

Year-round Recycling Options:

Medication Collection

Medications are being collected during business hours at the Marshfield, Nekoosa, Pittsville, Port Edwards, Rome, Grand Rapids, and Wisconsin Rapids Police Departments, and the Wood County Sheriff’s Department. For more information call the Health Department at (715) 421-8911 or (715) 387-8646.

Check out our informative video on the Medication Disposal program!

Mercury Thermostat Collection

Old mercury thermostats from individual homes can be brought to the Health Department office in Wisconsin Rapids at the Riverview Clinic Building, 420 Dewey Street – 4th Floor during regular business hours.

The thermostats must be double bagged in clear plastic bags and not leaking mercury.

Bed Bug Information

Bed bugs, a problem worldwide, are resurging, causing property loss, expense, and inconvenience. The good news is that bed bugs do not transmit disease. The best way to prevent bed bugs is regular inspection for signs of an infestation.

Bed Bug Resources

Selling Home-Canned Foods

A new law called Wisconsin Act 101 allows you to sell some home-canned foods without a license under certain circumstances. This new exception to licensing requirements is explained below. It is important to remember that you are legally liable for what you sell, regardless of whether you are licensed. Please note that this is a narrow exception to the law, and you still need a commercial kitchen and a license to produce most foods for sale in Wisconsin.

If you have any question about what products you can sell or the conditions you need to meet, please call (608) 224-4682 or email food@wi.gov.

For more information visit the UW Extension website. On it you will find information on what food can be sold, registration requirements, signs and labels, training/recipes, checking pH, record keeping, sanitation, and downloadable fact sheets.

Also check out the guide to environmentally friendly products and producers.

Air Quality

Consultation regarding indoor air quality (i.e. Mold, Asbestos, Radon, Sewer gas, Carbon monoxide). For more information, see the following Wisconsin Department of Health Services pages:

For people that live within city limits contacting your City Building Inspector can help solve building condition issues. City websites are listed under "Municipalities" in the main menu to the left.

Groundwater Education & Protection

Consultation with Wood County residents about water sample results, safety of water supply, water quality and water treatment.

Visit the Wisconsin DNR Drinking Water & Groundwater page to find additional information about public & private drinking water as well as groundwater.

Phosphorus or Phosphate "Ban"

The application of lawn fertilizer containing phosphorus or available phosphate is restricted to use with new lawns with seed, or applicators with a soil test indicating phosphorus deficiency.

Sale of phosphorus and display of phosphorus turf fertilizer is limited to specific need and use of a sign indicating that turf fertilizer is available upon request for uses permitted.

For more information, see 2009 Wisconsin Act 9 on the Wisconsin State Legislature website.

Lead Prevention Program

Identification of children who are at risk for lead poisoning. Follow-up on children with elevated blood lead levels. Lead hazard risk assessment of dwellings. Links to organizations with information about the risks of lead poisoning and lead removal: EPA , CDC , HUD

For Landlords: You must hand out the EPA pamphlet, Protect Your Family From Lead In Your Home.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has published a new Renovation, Repair and Painting (RR&P) Rule that affects child care centers, schools and homes built before 1978. The rule requires that a certified renovation contractor conduct the renovation and that the occupants of the dwelling being renovated receive the EPA Renovate Right pamphlet from the contractor. The rule also requires that parents of children under age 6 who attend a child care center or school must be notified of any renovation activity and that the renovation contractor is properly certified. For more information, check out the Renovate Right Pamphlet.

Contact Information

Please contact Wood County Health Department with any questions regarding air quality, bi-annual clean sweep, groundwater education & protection or the lead prevention program. Phone (715) 421-8911 or (715) 387-8646. Ask to speak with Environmental Health.